Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Number Two!







And we have lift-off for monarch #2! The chrysalis photos are from yesterday...so fascinating to see it turn darker green and then opaque; you can see the wings inside it.

We woke up this morning to find that the butterfly had emerged. I put him--and it is a him, as was my first one (black spots on wings)--outside, and as soon as the sun hit him, flap flap flap flap--and away! From start to finish, about 3 hours. Clearly my first little friend had a few issues (but we prevailed in the end).

One more chubby caterpillar left...I think it is about to go into the chrysalis phase soon. I hope so, because it has eaten the milkweed down to almost a bare nubbin.

And BTW: yay!

1 comment:

Annette said...

What a wonderful thing to watch. So many people would never even notice. Thanks for sharing this treasure of nature!