Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Gr8 Sk8! Save the Skating Rink!

I just came back from a very well-attended (I'd say 1,000 people) rally to save Skateworld, the last remaining skating rink in the county--boo! It's a thriving business, owned by the same guy for the past 35 years...it's being threatened by some ridiculous city council shenanigans (read about it here).
The interior--it used to be the auditorium of a school...




Check out this lady's jacket: "Trocadero Old Timers Roller Skaters"--how cool is that? And she's talking to a former Roller Derby star (the guy in the black jacket)...

Who doesn't remember going to the skating rink? I loved it! Many many fond memories...it's a shame to deprive people of something so fun. I feel bad for kids who won't get to play miniature golf, go bowling, or skate round and round to blaring music...and what do they have to replace these things? Not much...

2 comments:

JuJu said...

Man, you know that lady has some stories.

I was never a roller skater, but ALL my friends were. Good luck keeping the place up and running. I will keep my fingers crossed for you guys.

lametapo

The ordinance about the skating is lametapo.

Kathryn said...

I have lots of fond memories of skating rinks!!! The last of which was being caught in a flood! Don't ask when (ok, 1969) I still can't get into inline skates. Love the "4 wheelers" always will. Remember the metal ones that you adjusted to your tennies and skate keys? K, showing my age now. You go girl!!!
hugs!
kat