Monday, June 9, 2008

Author Author

Apologies for the darkness of the photograph above: the man on the right is Khaled Hosseini, author of The Kite Runner (which I read and liked quite well) and A Thousand Splendid Suns (which I haven't read). Mr. Hosseini sat right next to B. on Saturday night at an event at UCSD (he was honored as UCSD Alumnus of the Year). He's very nice, very quiet . . . A lot of folks (many of them female, I might add) came up to him asking to have books signed or have their photos taken with him--it was like seeing the literary equivalent of a rock star. By some accounts, The Kite Runner has sold 10 million copies and been published in 42 languages.

I felt a bit weird about having my photo taken with him, so I "Kinneared" him--you have to read the link to a hilarious post on one of my favorite blogs, The Yarn Harlot, to understand what that means!

No comments: